Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-14 & Overall Course


I really liked when we went to the Goodwill and learn about how the company operates. I think it was really cool that they help people with disabilities and let them work there. It was also really interesting to hear how much they recycle and what kind of different things they recycle. It was pretty neat to walk around and see how they sort all the different kinds of product.
The online learning activity was good and a fun way to learn about different material. There was a lot of new information for me when I was doing the different activities.

I definitely feel like I learned a lot on this class. I think the documentaries taught me the most, especially the video called Tapped. It is really sad how much plastic there is in the ocean, and even sadder how the water manufacturers are taking our water and selling it back to us with higher prices. It was a really interesting video and after seeing it I haven’t bought any plastic bottles. Another thing that was really interesting and made me change some of my habits was when we did the Ecological footprint. I couldn’t believe that it would take 5 planets to support my lifestyle. I have started to take the bus to school or drive more with my roommates. I really enjoyed making the SMART goal and truly changed some of my habits. I am now drinking more water and only using my reusable water bottle. I also use my reusable bags whenever I go shopping so I don’t have to get plastic ones.
I think it was fun to make the junk project and see what kind of different things my classmates did.
This is my junk project, money bank.
 

4 comments:

  1. I agree, all the documentaries did really impact me and how I see things now too. I currently now am drinking more tap water and using reusable water bottles other than buying bottle water at the grocery store. I just want to add that I also really liked that your SMART goal was using your reusable bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your junk project was so great. It was simple and practical and anyone can do it! Goodwill was probably one of my favorite classes. It was great to go behind the scenes. The documentaries were also very enlightening and I think we were all changed in some way after viewing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your junk project was so simple but great! I like the idea of making a decorated money jar because then it is cute and hopefully you start to save money! :) I agree with you on the ecological footprint. That was one aspect of the class that blew my mind. It would take 4.5 planet Earths to sustain my life which is way too much. Great job making the effort to become more environmentally aware!

    ReplyDelete