Thursday, November 4, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 5-8

I learned how to create a graphical header for the blog. I think it was really unique to learn and it’s great to use it in my blog.
I think it was fun to find out my ecological footprint and how many planets it would take to support my lifestyle. It was a shock when I saw my result. I couldn’t believe it would take 5 planets to support my lifestyle. I have started to take the bus to school or drive more with my roommates.
I chose 1 cosmetic item that I use and I used the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database to find out about the safety of that product. I found out that my product might cause cancer so I decided to find another face cleaning product that would be safer to use.

I learned about antiques/antiquing, junk/junking, flea market, thrift shop, upcycling, and about resale shops. I found out where you can find all of these in Duluth and what kind of interesting things you can make from junk. I think this was really cool because I realized that you don’t need to buy new things all the time, you can be creative and make new things from your old things.
I think the video we watched about plastic bottles and manufacturers was really interesting and it really opened my eyes. It is really sad how much plastic there is in the ocean, and even sadder how the water manufacturers are taking our water and selling it back to us with bigger prices. It was really good that I saw this video because I used to believe that bottled water is pure and safer to drink than tap water, however, it is just the bottled water companies way to advertise their product.
After learning more about the environment, I have really tried to be more eco-friendly and use the bus more and car-pool. I have never really bought bottled water and after seeing the video I am never going to. It’s actually to the point that if I see my friend having bottled water I am going to tell about the video and what I learned.

4 comments:

  1. I also learned a lot about junking and other related terms. One of my favorite things that we did was create the Header, I thought that was fun and made out blogs a bit more interesting and personable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was super surprised about bottled water too. I couldn't believe that there is so much plastic in our oceans it is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved learning about our ecological footprints -- that's just crazy to me. I think it is cool how there are places in Duluth we can go for junking projects. I also have been trying to be more eco-friendly after learning what we have so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to our junking and antique project. This has been my favorite quarter so far and I think we are going to have a lot more to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete