Monday, October 4, 2010

Eye Openers: Ecological Footprint

I did the EarthDay Footprint quiz and the result was shoking. If everyone would live like me, we would need 5.7 Planet Earths to provide enough resources. My biggest ecological footprint was services, which was 35% and most of that is because of all the flying I do from Finland to school.
http://earthday.net/footprint2/index.html
 
I calculated my carbon footprint and my total metric tons was 31.73. My greatest one was flying, which equaled 48% of my total usage. I was really shocked when I saw how high my emissions were. I had no idea how much CO2 I was putting in the air.
http://www.sustainourplanet.com/

I calculated how much energy I saved by figuring out how much I recycle. My total savings were 389.80 kWh. I didn't realize how much energy is saved by recycling.
http://www.facilities.fsu.edu/CUP/recyclemania2010.html

5 comments:

  1. I did the same quiz as you did. my largest portion was also in services but for a different reason than flying. I am now aware of some of the things that I can do to reduce my carbon footprint. Your post was interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    I took the same quiz as you and got 6.5 planets. It's surprising that yours was almost as high as mine but for different reasons. I have only flown a few times in my life, so all the other things I do account for that much more pollution and usage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to hear that flying was as bad for the environment as it is. I thought flying would be considered "carpooling" in a sense. I will keep that in mind next time I want to go on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a website I found about airlines and how some are trying to change how they run to become more eco-friendly. Green Aircraft and Airlines is the title. http://www.seatguru.com/articles/green_aircraft_and_airlines.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the same quiz as well. I can't believe how just little the things we do has such a big impact on the earth.

    ReplyDelete